The application of Virobond 515 will be carried out the surfaces described in the contract in accordance with the Virobond 505 specification or such special procedures as recommended by Virochem (M) Sdn. Bhd., and accepted by the engineer. All work is to be in accordance with the relevant Occupation Health and Safety requirements or program. No work shall be carried out on the site without the engineer or his representative in attendance, unless agreed.
General Rules and Procedures
1. Using a small test area predetermine coverage rates and drying time.
2. Virobond 515 works best applied to dry, cool surfaces.
3. Apply liberally, soak, ans saturate all areas. Do not leave any puddles. Spread out any puddles with a soft mop. For maximum absorption, work the Virobond 515 into the surface with a soft mop.
Note : Because there will be varying absorption throughout the area being treated, to ensure saturation in all areas the applicator must periodically look back to observe those areas on the surface where the Virobond 515 is being absorbed more and saturation has not yet occurred. Before moving on, apply more materials to these areas while they are still wet, until they will not accept any further Virobond 515.
4. Do not attempt a second coat after the first coat has dried as a “whiting” could occur between coats. Removal takes hydrofluoric acid and lots of scrubbing.
5. On vertical surfaces, apply from the bottom up. Be prepared to sponge up or absorb any excess Virobond 515 which must run down the vertical surface onto a lower area previously treated and dry. If this happens whiting will occur between the wet and dry coats.
6. Virobond 515 is not meant to seal visible cracks. If a crack is larger than the thickness of a sheet of paper, it should be filled with the appropriate patching mix.
7. Treating highly polished surfaces or surfaces with high surface tension with Virobond 515 requires the use of a high pressure (2000 to 3000 psi) sprayer.
Any other form of application will lay down too much material and result in the Virobond 515 sliding around on the surface (like trying to paint the surface of a mirror). A finely atomised spray will lay down a fine, even coat, but be aware these dry very fast. The applicator must experiment with a small area prior to any large scale application using method. That is the only way the applicator will be able to predetermine how much Virobond 515 is required to ahieve saturation.
Note : Remember, do not apply a second coat of Virobond 515 over a dried, previous coat of Virobond 515 as a “whiting” may occur between the coats.
8. Virobond 515 penetrates and sets within two to four hours after application. Limited foot traffic is permissible after as little as 45 minutes.
Note : If the substrate to be treated is found to have abnormal deterioration, carbonation, ASR or AAR, (alkaline silicate or aggregate reaction), high permeability or significant factors which could affect the application of the Virobond 515 this application specification may have to be modified to suit this specific case at hand.
In such cases, before proceeding, contact Virochem (M) Sdn. Bhd. for further advise.
The applications for contractor shall maintain a record of the quantity of material used and the areas treated for each application to verify that the minimum required coverage rate as predetermined and agreed upon with the engineers, is achieved.
The format of such records shall be agreed upon with the consulting engineer and keep up to date available for the engineer’s inspection throughout the course of the work.