Previously non-treated, or bare, new concrete needs no prior preparation. Any existing paint or surface treatment must removed to be effective. In problem areas where foreign matter such as grease or oil have penetrated below the surface, apply an appropriate cleaning agent. Flush off foreign matter with water, allow to dry thoroughly. Several applications may be needed in some cases to flush all such foreign matter to the surface. Note : While oil, for example, will be removed, stains from used motor oil may not. For concrete surfaces we recommend that Virobond 505 be applied after the repair, (allow minimum 3 days for the Virobond 505 to cure) this will ensure the bond of the Virobond 515 to the substrate.
Applying using a brush, mop, roller or low pressure (20-30 psi) sprayer.
Virobond 515 is a pre-mixed at factory, shake well before using.
1. Virobond 515 works best applied to dry surfaces.
2. Apply liberally and saturate all areas. Do not leave any puddles. Spread out any puddles with a soft mop or roller. For maximum absorption, work the Virobond 515 into the surface with a soft mop.
Note : Application rate varies depending on porosity of substrate. Ensure all areas are evenly and fully coated.
2. Do not dilute or mix Virobond 515 with water or any other liquid. Use only as supplied.
3. Do not attempt a second coat after the first coat has dried as a “whiting” could occur between the two coats.
4. On vertical surfaces, apply from the bottom up.
5. Virobond 515 is not meant to seal visible cracks.
6. Virobond 515 penetrates and sets within two to four hours after application. Limited foot traffic is permissible after as little as 45 minutes.
Coverage rates vary depending on the porosity substrate. Coverage can range from 1.5 sq. Meters
per litre up to 6.5sq. meters per litre. Conduct a test on a small patch area to be treated so as to
predetermine porosity and coverage rates prior to main application.Packaging Standards
- 5 Litres Pail
- 20 Litres Pail
Virobond 515 (Penetrating Top Layer Seal)
Virobond 515 is a penetrating surface treatment. Virobond 515 is a penetrating surface treatment. Virobond 515 is a clear, water-based, non-toxic, non-flammable, surface applied treatment effective whether applied on surfaces, which will be above or below grade. A one time application dries to clear, non-glossy, finish, which does not alter the natural colour or texture of the surface treated. Clean up of application tools and containers is with clean water.
Virobond 515 can be applied:
- As a top coat (l.e. the name “Top Layer Seal”) over alkaline substrate previously treated with Virobond 505.
- As a standalone surface treatment for surfaces where pre-treatment with Virobond 505 is no required.
A Virobond 515 “Top Layer Seal” treated surface will retard, reduce or eliminate concretes permeability to :
- Water and water borne contaminants
- Most acids, (l.e. phosphoric, citric, oxalic, sulphonic, hydrochloric, sulphuric)
- Caustic soda and caustic potash
- Grease and oils, most stains, (dirty motor oil and brake fluid)
- Won’t allow moisture to enter and bond with the surface and as such makes for the much easier removal of ice and snow.
- Can be cleaned up with mild soap and water and/or a garden hose.
- Wear due to freeze-thaw, pitting or rutting
- “Slipperiness” caused by black ice, oil build-up or dusting of surfaces.
- Moss or mould build up on surfaces
As a final Top Layer Seal over Virobond 515 treated substrates:
- New or Old concrete.
- Concrete repaired with topping or patching mixes.
- Cementitious or alkaline brick.
- Open surface, non-polished limestone.
- Substrates where alkaline is present.
- Brick, mortar, marble sand sandstone.
- Exposed aggregate.
Non-porous asphalt (shingles) treated with Virobond 515 will be more hydrophobic, shedding water quicker, and the Virobond 515 envelops and bonds the grit particles to the surface of the shingle.
- Polished stone surfaces.
- Coloured concrete/concrete too porous Virobond 505
- Over any clean, dry, structurally sound surface.
Ensure the surface to be treated is cosmetically as you want it before applying the Virobond 515 Never apply a second coat if the first coat has dried, as “whiting” occurs. Removal requires hydrofluoric acid and lots of scrubbing.